Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son plays 2024 (he is in 6th grade) He is a very good player, but won't make the top 3 2024 teams(he is close) . I attribute much of that to his maturity. He was born 10/06 and we did not hold him back. I watch the top 2025 teams play all the time and I know he could start on any of those teams. I have heard that there will be some 2024 boys born after the Aug 31st 06 deadline trying out next year and or the following year for 2025's ,as so to be able to play in world series. I checked out the rules and it is dob, not graduation year. Are there 2024's on any of the top teams as of now? I was told yes? Seems a bit pre-mature but was wondering how it is working out for them and how most people feel about that transition and there feelings on the transition of 2024 on age boys on there way?

You are correct, completely legal in spite of the complaining on this board. Rumor has it Express brought down a 2024 or two to their 2025 team already and it looked like it created some problems.

We have a few kids with late 2006 birthdays on the team October - December. They are true holdbacks and are in the same grade as the other kids and have been on the team since the beginning. These kids are in the 5th grade and socially are 5th graders. They have 5th-grade friends and 5th-grade interests. They may be a few months older but no one knows or cares. As far as the kids are concerned, they're all the same age.

However, you're talking about a kid who is socially more mature adapting being with socially less mature kids. As a parent, you have to ask yourself, will my son enjoy being with the little kids? Because that grade makes a difference socially. When he's in 7th grade, would he hang out with the 6th graders at school? Probably not. Personally, I wouldn't do it for that reason alone. It may be legal but it has to have some negative impact on your son.