Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Don’t really understand why any parent would not want his kid playing with kids his own age. Unless you are trying to take advantage of the current system there is no credible argument to oppose age based classification.

I respect and understand your opinion but I find it so hard to understand how all the "age based" parents refuse to understand that people have a different opinion, this does not make us wrong, just of a different opinion. My son is on the young side of his grade and always was on the small size as well. I would always want him to play against kids in his grade and not worry about age (when with his summer travel team) and this was true in 3rd grade thru 9th grade - it obviously made no difference in school ball as that is always grade based.

It is my opinion that there is a benefit by competing against kids your own grade that you would eventually have to compete against in prospect days and showcases. I would see no advantage in dominating the summer circuit with kids your own age and then go to Maverik or Jake Reed and have to go against kids in your own grade that have been playing against bigger, stronger and better competition.

I am an "age based" parent. I respect your opinion regarding what is best for your kid. In an age based system, you absolutely can have your kid play against older kids if that is what you want. If he is a 2007 (which most 5th graders are), than you just simply have him play on a 2006 team. Its a win/win for everyone. This is why there is no credible argument to oppose an age based system. Wanting your kid to play against older kids is a legitimate goal/argument. What lacks legitimacy is the idea that ALL youth players must exist in a system where there are absolutely zero controls or disclosures concern the age of participants, and you pull up to a tournament having no idea whether your 10 year old is playing against 10 year olds or 12 year olds, and indeed there may be vast differences in the ages of your opponents between your 10 am opponent and your 1 pm opponent. In fact, you should desire an age based system. Since you want your kid playing against older kids, an age based system ensures this through his participation in an older BY division. Under the current system, you may show up at a tournament and through luck of the draw find that his opponents lack the very holdback opposition you are seeking.