Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am changing my opinion on things. Again my opinion, as I would prefer to look at this another way. I am actually starting to think grade based is going to end. Because they'll be more and more people adopting the US Lacrosse and WSYL age guidlines into grade based. It's the can'take beat join then mentality. Not saying it's right or agreeing. But just maybe this is a needed shakeup. Because this topic isn't going away.

I agree, great post. This is a great sport. Most of the people I have met are good parents all wanting the same thing for there kids.We have the best coaches are on LI. These kids are getting the best training in the country. But as the sport has grown so has the competition and the importance of winning. There is so much money to be made in the race for winning,that the ethics of youth sports gets forgotten. Youth Lacrosse NEEDS to go age based!!or at least have some sort of age regulation. It is getting worse out there every season!!

LI problem is your cutoff for starting school. You might be the only place that has a Jan 1. Sep 1 is more the norm, with most summer boys being held in Pre-K. Nothing to do with sports.

This is true and not going to be changed any time soon. However, WSYL gives a reason for teams to be somewhat age based. As lacrosse is spreading out and less concentrated solely in NY and Maryland it will have a greater impact. NY teams are mostly on age. MD teams aren't, which is why they don't participate in WSYL. As the sport grows, Fairyland with their highly "skilled" double holdbacks will continue to move down in prestige and importance.

WSYL is 7th grade for a reason and will die if a team from outside LI doesn't win.

Read "Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!" Thread.. Every sport is driven by the next level. Youth lacrosse is driven by D1.. According to a post, only1 of the 15 incoming freshmen class was not a holdback. Football major 8th-grade holdbacks & AAU is a total joke. Lacrosse is just late to the game but the game has changed.