Originally Posted by Anonymous
HS coaches--at least at WM--do not know players until they get older. They are not watching 7th grade or 8th grade lax except for one game at the end of the year--middle school gelinas vs middle school murphy...

Further, the HS coaches have been very clear that players are responsible for all recruiting efforts. I know they will take calls and help in any way possible, but they aren't going to be proactive and don't know the younger kids at all--they are are two years removed from where college coaches are looking. There is no one talking about Jake Reed or Maverick, either the players and parents know or they don't ...

We love the WM program, but there is much to be said for the select team programs (91, LIE, ...).

For anyone just starting out, do not just sit there and wait to be discovered. No matter what all of the numbskulls on this board think, there are only a few levels of players. It is the same at every age group, the very best kids, all the others that are in the middle and then the bottom group.

there are changes to the structure from one year to the next based upon growth spurts, but ultimately the groups look pretty similar from 4th grade through 12th. The stud athletes tend to remain studs (unless there advantage was size)

Many of the kids in the middle of the pack, assuming they work hard and really want it (not all kids do) can play at D-1.

But it is up to you, the parent and the player to put yourself in the best possible position. If you are the best one on your HS team, I agree, someone will find you, but if you are in the top 5-10, the only way you will get recruited is if you send tapes and show up at events that your desired college attends...

It is like anything else in life, you need to put yourself in a position to succeed. early bird gets the worm...

As for topic, of course it is a conflict, but everything is relative. Depending on where you are on the coach's depth chart, you are either happy of sad. let's face it, lots of politics, for those with good connections the system works, for those without connections, you need to work the system....

Do you know how many 4th grade studs are no longer studs in forget 12th, how about 9th? I know I coached them. Many of these kids developed quicker than the others. Additionally, regardless of size, many had birthdays 6-9 months sooner than the less developed players. By 9th grade much of that advantage has disappeared. The most interesting part is that those 3rd, 4th, 5th graders who have been continually put on "A" travel teams might be in for a rude awakening when that good but not great player, surpasses them in HS. The rudest awakening is for their parents, when they cry politics, wondering why their meal ticket was sent to the "B" team.

Well said by both posters. Seen it happen!

Seeing it also firsthand. Pal player in town grew 5 inches since last year.

Saw it first hand, Chubby 4th grader now lean big 9th grader on Varsity.... It happens. Also saw skinny B team kid hit the gym and work hard. Now getting play time at Varsity.