Originally Posted by Anonymous
I guess I look at this slightly different , I think it's great when the local coach puts in the effort to make the team better. It's a significant amount of work and for 750 , there's not much in making money there. Yeah maybe the coaches are getting paid, but they're not getting rich. Probably 1-2k for the whole season per coach. 2 practices a week and 4 weekend tournaments, probably getting 20 an hr.

Now these 25 kids, some who will never make another travel team get to play together. It's much better for the school program then the top 2 kids playing with a travel team with kids from 10 different towns.

What will be a bigger accomplishment , Li championship with all your high school buddies or winning the tristate with 20 different families ?

They both serve a purpose, playing with and improving your HS team is very important but also playing with the same kids for 10 months a year and hearing the same coaches yelling for 3-4 years as well as playing against the same kids who may not be as good as your kid may not improve a "Better" player as much as playing with a summer select team with outstanding competition in both practices and games. The best scenario for these players would be to try and do both and balance it as best you can. if you can make it work

If only we could all make this work.

How about this, since there is limited field space. Practice for town teams on certain days and travel on others. Play travel games on the 1st and 3rd weekend of a month and town on ONE of the other weekends. (or visa versa).

Play with your town friends and play with new boys. What a concept.

Good luck with that. The people at US Lax can't even organize a roster like PAL football has had for a decade. This would allow opposing coaches to see a photo ID of each player before a game. That would prevent clubs from borrowing players, or having nephews from out of state play on your team when the tourney brings you down that way!

Please tournaments are not leagues, rosters are not locked in stone in Sept. however, rosters do need to be submitted but whats to say they put the out of state player on the official roster, what then.

Is US Lacrosse going to say my child or nephew can only play on one team. No because becuase that would not be in the best interest of the child or the sport. Why stop a child who wants to play with their friends as well as with others every once in a while..

Long Island Junior Soccer League strictly prohibits a player from participating on more than one team, this I know first hand, having a child who plays up a year on a very competitive team and also wanted to play with his friends on a team his age and the answer from [lacrosse] was a simple "NO" and a follow up to them asking why was answered with a "because we said so"

Yeah and in some parts of the country you cannot play soccer for your schools.