Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son will be fortunate to play within a H.S. program that plays together in the summer. That program has put well over a hundred kids (probably closer to 200) into college programs in the last decade. Many of these kids didn't get much playing time during school season but do see time in the summer program. D2&3 coaches know they come from a quality program with great coaching and reputation. The kids and parents buy into this system because it has produced a nationally ranked power with numerous state, LI, and county titles. Many of the younger kids also play on travel teams. However, when they get to H.S., the school summer program comes first. My fear is this may change in the not too distant future because some of these younger kids are playing for the top club teams and may feel as many of you do that they should play with the best players. This H.S. has kids who have played at A.C.C, Big Ten, Ivy schools so it is not like the coaches don't recruit them. I don't believe the coaches at this program are in it for the money because the costs are fairly low and if they started their own club program , I think they would do very well due to their results and reputations. They simply want the kids to play together because that teamwork wins championships. The town program isn't perfect as you see the same nonsense you see everywhere else, but the H.S. program has been great and I hope it stays that way. Just look at the towns that have won multiple county championships, LI and state titles since 2000. They all have something in common.

You mean like Garden City?

I think up until recently, GC kids played where they wanted. fl$, Express etc..

I guess you didn't pick up on my remark. That's the point, many Championships and the kids aren't "forced" to play for the coach. I hope they don't cave.

I think there is pressure in GC now. Not sure why they are changing.