Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have read here several times that HS coaches are prohibited from coaching a team with more than 4-5 players from their HS during the offseason (or something similar). Also reference was made just recently to the prohibition against HS coaches using HS/public fields for their club teams. I am in a situation where the coach has informed the HS players that they won't play on varsity unless they play in the HS Coach's club team or at least attend certain tournaments with the HS Coach's club team. Can anyone point to the specific regulations/laws or point me in the right direction? I have looked but have not been able to find anything. Thanks

Many years ago a coach could not be with his kids during the off-season. A dad used to coach my summer and winter lax teams. That however, is not the case anymore. Also, with the use of fields, a coach simply has to fill out a form to use the fields of the high school or other district fields Anyone can fill out the form and then the AD approves it. Here are the section XI rules on off-season practices. Basically, you can't put it in writing that off-season is mandatory. You can just "highly suggest".

VII. Out of Season Practice Policy
On May 24, 2000, the Section XI Athletic Council eliminated the Section XI Out of Season Practice Policy (sometimes referred to as the 49% rule) entirely!

Understand, however, that this action does not necessarily make practicing out of season OK. Schools are still bound by the NYSPHSAA regulations. They are:

NYSPHSAA REGULATION - PRACTICE SESSIONS:
a. An organized practice in grades 7-12 is a session for the purpose of providing instruction and practice in physical conditioning activities, skills, team play, and game strategy designed expressly for that sport under the supervision of a qualified coach appointed by the Board of Education of the local school district. Such instruction and practice shall be held only during the season designated for that sport.
c. School sponsored activities conducted out of the sport season such as general conditioning, weight training, weight lifting, intramurals, recreation, open gyms, club activities and camps are permitted: 1. If such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel; 2. If such programs are available to all students.
d. Non-school sponsored activities are permitted if such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel. It is recommended that no school equipment be used for these programs as per State Comptroller Opinion 85-37.

Rev 5/11