Originally Posted by Anonymous
another parent mis informed....playing multi level not
ideal for recruiting? com'on...lets see, petey only plays well against kids his own age....lol coaches know what grade a player is in. And if your playing on a team like WM, coaches
have a very high level of respect for the WM program & that goes a long way for your kid...more than you know...so the fact that a 9, 10th grader is playing on WM team gets you interest.they dont expect that kid to be dominating a raising senior...they are looking at lax iq, hustle, etc. maybe you should contact a college coach and ask, what do you look for
in a player? you may be surprised & certainly tell them you play in the WM program....your other comment, what if my son wants to play in a more competitive tournament? you REALLY me that YOU want him to play in a more competitive tournament! on other words your kid only plays his best when he is on a "stacked" team? one thing you will find out after the conversation with that college coach is that they look for kids that make the other players around them, BETTER! they want NOTHING to do with the prima donna that can only play with good players. Last ask that coach why they ALWAYS talk to the kids hs coach? because these club coaches are full of crap
when it comes to a kids talent level....follow the money...clubs will keep telling you are a cant miss D1 player...why? cause they want your $$$ next year & next year
etc. Dont forget the club scens has many levels...each club has a #1 team. if you're not on it, your tosing your money away
espcially if your a wm kid...talk about a drop off. you shouldnt lose sight of the value playing for the WM program.

First of all, my post was trying to be positive. You have a lot of anger and clearly don't even want to see both point of views. Calling me misinformed demonstrates that. Please read objectively.

Let's start with your first argument about multi level. Maybe you should talk to some of the WM 2012 Summer Green Team parents about how when WM got on the field to play as rising seniors even though there were younger players, there were instances when coaches walked away assuming that if a senior was that good he would have been committed already. Some of these coaches were unaware that mixed grades were playing. This was a big disadvantage for rising juniors. This is a fact and a valid concern. Hopefully, this was rectified for the players this summer.

Of course, coaches look for hustle and lacrosse IQ. You offered no new insight there. Coaches also look at the behavior of the player on and off the field as well as their parents' behavior. This holds true for both WM and club.

Of course, playing for WM during the school season holds weight with college coaches. WM has a long history of great lacrosse. Not sure it holds as much weight during the summer. You should ask them that. Some coaches want to know if you can mesh well with players from other towns and not just the ones that you have played PAL with since 2nd grade. After all, you are not taking your entire HS team to college with you.

As far as your point of wanting my son to play on a "stacked" team, I never said that. I think it is a benefit for my son to play in more competitive tournaments as does he, so he can be amongst some of the most competitive players in his age group. This shows us where he falls and what he needs to work on. It helps raise his level of play. It's good for him to learn from players that he does not play with all the time and be inspired by them. This does not mean he doesn't look up to his school teammates because he has respect for them too. This also does not mean that he is a "prima donna" as you put it. If you knew my son at all, you would know that he is a very unselfish player. I guess name calling and insulting a young teen makes you feel better and somehow makes you think your point is valid.

As far as the "club scene" that you negatively refer too, he is on the #1 team since you brought it up. That doesn't mean that the B Teams do not have talent which I am sure you are aware of since they have beaten 3V's A team on many occasion including Patriots Elite's team as well.

Yes, playing club does cost more $, but probably not as much $ as you would think. You get what you pay for. It's probably comparable to all the $ WM kids pay for private lessons and the clinics they try to take discretely after the parents proclaim that we have the best coaches anywhere and no need to go anywhere else. In years to come if my son wants to play college lacrosse and if he has the talent and the grades, I have no doubt that my son's club coaches and school coaches will do whatever they can to help him get recruited whether it be D1, D2, or D3.

All these boys will be playing school lacrosse together. It's important that we respect each other and the different decisions parents made for their sons. In all situations, everyone has their child's best interest in mind. There are just different avenues for helping your child improve his lacrosse skills. We never lost sight of playing for a WM program. We live in the district first for it's reputation for a great education, it's a wonderful community to raise a family and it certainly helps that my children love lacrosse in a district that excels at the sport.

I have faith that our HS coach would never hold it against an athlete based on where he decided to play during the off season. Each player needs to be evaluated each season based on school tryouts. Because then surely it would be a conflict of interest if WM's coach cut or didn't play a deserving athlete due to that athlete not contributing to his summer salary.