Originally Posted by Anonymous
It is and so is every other coach in Long Island that does this crap doing summer programs.

But you cannot stop coaches from doing something to earn money on their own time.
Again, it can be a conflict either way.
You can't just say that high school coaches should not run their own program because it is a conflict and not also say that it is also a conflict for them to work for a club.
It is only a conflict either way depending on the coach and the pressure he puts on kids and parents to play for him out side of the varsity team.
Every parent needs to evaluate their own situation and coach and see what the best option is for them and their child.
People should stop listening to all the bashing on here and make their own educated decisions.
Clubs are a great option for some but not for others.
Not every high school coach pressures his school players to play for him in the summer months, but every club is in it ONLY for the money. It is how they make a living and most club directors are doing very well because so many people have bought into their marketing.
If you doubt that then why does every club have two or three teams at every level? As long as a parent is willing to pay they are not going to turn anyone away.

Stop it, these guys are earning extra bucks doing what they know best. Experts in their field.

I am in the minority, I wished my town coaches got involved with a team so we had an avenue (to be steered into) to play, instead, I play with a team who's coach is involved and I am envious.

I agree with you.
I am trying to figure out why all these people consider it a conflict to run a travel program in their town but not a conflict to coach for a club team?
I have more respect for the coach that wants to coach in his own town. Either way he could put pressure on his kids to play for him if he is inclined to do so and there is definitely more money for him with a club unless he is also charging upwards of $2000 for his town team, so obviously he must be doing it for more than just the money.