Originally Posted by Anonymous
Again, Its a fact the kids in my community are being coerced by the coach. They are making a side business in the same community that they have a municipal job.

They should have oversight and not allowed to have a private business by having the play for us or else mentality. There alleged business is founded on their position of authority designated by the school district. I personally think if it wasn't affiliated with the school district that is fine but when you attach the town label to it I feel it deserves more accountability than saying we are doing it for a little less money. If they are so right they can call themselves any team name and there players will come but the fact is they will use the school district name to bully kids to play for them.

The fact is the coaches become insulted when a kid doesn't play for them because they have calculated that the player would be their because of money and or talent. I have heard next man up but we all know they want their horses and will put unnecessary pressure for a kid to play in the OFFSEASON as opposed to looking out for there individual best interest in the OFFSEASON.

We must remember we are talking about a summer program, not the regular season.

I totally agree with you on that issue. If the coach is pressuring kids to play for him by using his position as the varsity coach to influence their decision then he should definately face some consequences.

My point was that he does not have to be running his own program to do that. He can be coaching for 91, or Express or Outlaws or any club and still use his position as varsity coach to pressure his kids to play for that program.

Either way it is not right and that coach should lose his job as varsity coach and maybe his teaching job as well. That is a form of harrassment if he uses his position of authority to pressure kids to play for him.

My position is that if the coach is running a town program to help bolster his varsity program, and not pressuring the kids to play for him but just offering the opportunity at a lesser cost than a club program then there should not be a problem even if he is making some money from it. If he is giving his time he should expect to be paid something.