Originally Posted by Anonymous
They are looking for athletes. Not the first time I have heard this. Many college teams would rather take a kid with more athletic ability then a kid with less but better stick skills. They figure they can coach him up and at the end of the day his physical talent will be too much for the guy with good stick skills but a ceiling. This always upsets parents whose kids have put in a ton of time and developed skills, that a kid who did not put in as much time simply gets taken because he is bigger and faster sends them off the cliff,
Not looking for polished lacrosse players? So what are they looking for in ninth graders? Those that shave their peach fuzz?

You can keep telling yourself this, but my son who is D1 recruited to a top program with a very good scholarship, only plays lax. We went on many visits. The coaches may admire a kid for being involved in other sports, but they are recruiting based on what they saw on the LACROSSE field! stop this nonsense. If playing another sport helps you kids get better at lax, kudos to your son! In the final analysis, coaches recruit based on what they observe on the lax field. Period!

Agree completely. I think the whole "we love multisport athletes" bit is just a PC thing these coaches say to make themselves feel and sound more open minded. I have a hard time believing they are ever going to take anything other than the absolute best lacrosse players they can get their hands on. If the best player they can sign happens to play other sports then I think what they mean is that tis not held against the kid and may even be a positive....but that is very different from suggesting that they affirmatively look to recruit multisport athletes other non-multisport athletes.

If any of the coaches quoted in the article think it is more healthy, etc. for their own children to diversify into other sports that is a very reasonable choice for them to make as parents.....but stop peddling this fantasy to the larger lax community wherein less talented multisport athletes beat out better kids who only play lax. It is just silly.