Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have learned the hard way about PAL. I stuck through the town PAL program. I was fortunate enough to have one of the better players out of the grades my children were in. Each having 60+ players. But the turmoil and heart ache for both the developmental and Skilled players and families is unbelievable and that was for each grade and level boys and girls not just my children's teams or grade.

We stuck with PAL for all the right reason, so my children played with their friends, so we showed loyalty to the town, so we could be a part of helping the program grow. But looking back it was not a fun ride. Many sportsmanship ideals and values I tried to instill seem to be tested at each turn.

I wish PAL would figure out a smarter way to bridge the gap in player development and skill. No matter Suffolk or Nassau.

We are fortunate to have a positive experiences within the travel circuit on a top organization and team. Unfortunately for what I know now for a player like my son and some of his friends travel was a great outlet. I wished I had made the switch as early as 3rd grade.

For someone who has had a positive experience and would do travel earlier if I had to do all over again, I wished the HS coaches were more involved with the town youth programs, I wish and still think there is room for both town and travel youth through HS years.

I have witnessed some very good teams from the West, Maryland and Virgnia. Many of these teams are not typical travel teams but superstar travel teams. I wished LI would do that. Maybe for a week or 2. Pair up some of the better players and make 2 teams per grade and go compete with FCA and the rest. This allows our players to broaden their experiences.

Maybe some of the HS or even MS coaches can get together and try and set the stage to accomplish this. Similar to the Rising Sophs, Jrs Sr games between Nassau and Suffolk. I am not so sure how corrupt those games are as this will be our first experience within that but on its face it sounds like a great idea.

What do you think?

Were you a PAL coach ? Once upon a time; that is the last I answer of who I am.