Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is going on in Syosset?

My guess is that who ever you are, you know exactly what is going on and you are trying to start a public conversation about it, why don't you tell us what is going on in Syosset

Your guess is incorrect. I do not have any details, that is why I asked the question.
This thread is titled "Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town". I did not start the topic but it does concern me and my children. I believe there is a conflict and I do not think that it should be permitted.

It should be a "public" conversation, there should be transparency and if there is any impropriety it should be exposed and dealt with.

Since you are in the business of guessing, I will join you.

My guess is that if the HS coach did not profit from Summer / Club teams or camps there would be absolutely "no conflict'. Parents would still complain that their kid is getting a raw deal but at least there would be no conflict of interest to point at.

If there is an issue it should be made public, it should not be swept under the rug.

The only issue that should be made public is that the man works extremely hard , cares about all these kids and gives up so much of his personal time that it's mind boggling. Why shouldn't he be compensated for his work. Would any one of you ever work that hard and give up so much time for free?? What he makes off of the camp and summer teams is highly deserved and then some. If you are not high school level yet then you will see all the free time and energy that he gives to these kids between recruiting help, mentoring, getting involved in making sure their grades come first and just overall caring attitude he has toward his players and their families. Other varsity coaches DO NOT do this people , the weaker lacrosse towns in our area like Hicksville have coaches that show up when they are supposed to and do the bare minimum for their kids. This is what separates our strong successful Syosset program from the others. Our coach along with very involved parents contribute to the years of Syosset victories on the field as well as in the classroom. Our sons have attended his camp every year since they were eligible and have enjoyed it more than any camp they've ever attended bc of the hard work that coach and his wife put into making it successful and fun for the kids. They begin working on planning for the following years camp not long after July has ended. This is a year round commitment for them and they deserve every penny. As for the parents whining that since they don't attend that their kids don't get moved up, none of my sons were ever moved up earlier than their age allowed. The coach is who decides this for a variety of reasons and sometimes for something as simple as players size and maturity and not being able to handle it physically or mentally and for their own safety, not just based on lacrosse ability. I'd rather my kid not be in a position that he can't handle. My ego should be the least factored into this equation. Step back and think about your kid and not yourself, their time will come . Most kids who attended the camp all those years with my kids also weren't moved up and many who never attended were. It's not a conspiracy , be realistic and get over yourself and stop making excuses that can cost a hardworking man a portion of his well earned livelihood. And think of the disappointment of the kids who look forward to this great Syosset community's kick off to summer tradition of attending camp in their community surrounded by much of their friends , neighbors, family and the memories they take away as well as what they learn for the week. I know my kids have great memories of their many years spent here with never a thought of this being a power play for the future and what it will do for them.
One last thought, if this is to be considered a conflict of interest than the next step is to stop all Syosset teachers from tutoring within the district and making money off of their students on the side . Same argument , but by taking these two things away the people your hurting most is the kids and that's the biggest shame.

JC has probably sacrificed more of his own time than anyone on here, and tons of it on a volunteer, or for-cost basis. Yes, he should be able to make some money, in return for some of the services he's providing, like the summer camps!