Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by The Hop
In response to those with negative comments about summer travel lacrosse I will add my opinion from personal experience.

Club travel participation is a choice made by families that have a love of the game and a player who has some talent. There are many clubs with many different talent levels with many different summer schedules to fit any families preference.
If your choice is to not participate that's fine but a general statement damning those that do is ridiculous.
Many families see the summer travel tournaments as a family experience and an opportunity to travel to several states and often combine vacations and trips to theme parks as part of the excursions.
If a player excels and is seen by college coaches and recruited as a result of playing club ball then that's great and it does happen...often. If college recruiting does not happen then so what, the experiences shared and lessons learned will last a lifetime.
Remember it's a families personal preference to participate in travel lax and if managed properly can be a great few years for the whole family.

Great post. I would add that the decision to support your child's interest in playing more of anything in the end guarantees nothing. This goes for all sports. Statistically speaking, the numbers are not in ones favor for scholarships and success at the next level. Enjoy your time as a family, in the cars to practices and tournaments where you can mold and raise your kids to become outstanding adults.

Never forget youth sports is a business that gets bigger every day. The only guaranteed scholarships are going to the kids of the guys running them thanks to all of us participating in them.

This all seems OK to me. The American way, if you want to participate, go ahead, if you don't then good luck to you as well. Freedom of choice. Should the coaches have to sit on their hands? I don't think so. Is there a conflict? Probably. So what, get over it.