ive recently had this dilemma. Should I push my son to play football. I would definitely like my son to play football. I know what it does for a young boy and how it gives life lessons and helps the boys bond. But really, why do I want him to play, because I did? Yep! (It helps my son has twice the talent and work ethic I had. not boasting or living vicariously - just facts). I know what it takes, and he has it but what he doesn't have is the love.

where has the love gone? Sports are different now, or is it. We didn't have instant access to the games or recaps and reruns. Some of us were lucky if we got to even watch football games. In this technological age information is immediate. You can see the good parts on redzone ticket or the ESPN highlights or DVR it. There is no want or desire. Why, desire something that can be found with their fingertips at a click of a button.

But that is not it, kids are also smarter; Kids see read and comprehend information instantaneously. They see some of the perils of football and it is not lost on this generation. The issues have them scared because they see us scared - and rightfully so. (wonder what the facts or desires of lacrosse will be when they are parents)

But the issue at hand is (lax vs football in/out of season) but is the issue really about committing to something and also understanding what your priorities should be. This is a valuable lesson our kids are learning at a young age.

I also think we all need to realistic. Back in the day summer football were captains practices or 7v7's w/no coaches. Maybe a bit lord of the flies, but you learned how to deal with things and people. If you had other summer sports AAU hoops, baseball, Lax you went to those and missed summer football. And during the football season you barley picked up your stick or glove. You threw around the football. But that has changed.

Soccer isn’t the only year around sport. All sports are now year around.

But the point again is about committing to something while still understanding your overall priorities. All throughout life you will need to break commitments some for good reasons some for ridiculously bad. These kids are learning at a younger age how to make those choices. that is an invaluable experience.