Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here is my perspective, being an ex-college player, youth coach, high school coach, parent and not living in a community with a strong lacrosse tradition. "Elite" travel teams have merit. They bring together kids from different communities that are serious about playing lacrosse. These are the kids that attend camps, clinics and are most likely to play wall ball on their own. Do the high school elite "A" teams get extra exposure and looks by colleges? They do. Especially if these kids would have played in a town with a mediocre coach and program with kids that pick up their sticks once every spring. Having said that is the "elite" travel thing a major money maker? Absolutely! Are there multiple teams in an age bracket that will never compete on a high level nor get looks from colleges? Absolutely. The Three Villages and West Islips don't see the merit in travel teams. They don't have to. They have enough talent and enough parents with knowledge of the game to mandate loyalty to the local program. Some will balk at that. Especially if their child does not get adequate playing time. Those that stay with their town team and get playing time are thrilled they don't have to pay thousands of dollars per year to pad the retirement of some director from a team named after their jersey number. If you live in, for example, West Islip, 3V, Manhasset, Smithtown, SWR (with Rotanz), etc be grateful you have lacrosse people in your community (including parents). If you in a community more known for baseball, then you are most likely going to have to go the outside travel team route and deal with all the politics there, and pay $5k (with travel expenses) on top of it. There is no one answer to this craziness. The days of just playing in season and trying out for the Empire State team is over. We, as parents created this because we think our children should be offered more than they are. If my father was asked for thousands of dollars to play travel lacrosse, he would have told me, you need therapy, now go outside and play.

great - great post, thank you.....