Originally Posted by Anonymous
IMO, anyone that has their kid commit before they are a Junior is totally nuts. If you kid is good enough they will find a spot. Even juniors don't really know what they are "committing" to, but any younger than that and IMO you are setting your kid up to look bad. But hey, different stokes for different folks! Hit the books and enjoy the ride, because none of them are going to be professional lacrosse players.

Ok. So I am totally nuts. But I'd like to hear why.

"If your kid is good enough, they will find a spot"
You mean somewhere, at some school? Well then yes. Where she wanted to go, no. She is a 2019 and her recruiting class is already full at her future school.

"Even juniors don't really know what they are "committing" to, but any younger than that and IMO you are setting your kid up to look bad."

How so? How specifically will it make my kid look bad??

"Hit the books and enjoy the ride, because none of them are going to be professional lacrosse players."

She is going to an elite academic institution and has straight A's so far in high school in all honors classes. So she hits the books. And she is not striving to be a professional lacrosse player, she is striving to be a good college player.

So again I ask, how as a parent am I nuts? Following your advice, she would not be attending this amazing school and lacrosse program. Allowing her to commit before junior year has allowed her to have that opportunity. It's not binding. If junior or senior year things have changed and she decides she wants to play D3 at Middlebury for instance, she still can.