Originally Posted by Anonymous
That all sounds good but she is not committing to give the academy a try for 2 years and then leave, she is committing to give the navy 9 years of her life.The question for me is why commit now , what advantage does that give her other than mommy and daddy feeding their egos.

As stated above, it is obviously not for you or your daughter. I think that is an important thing to recognize in her and yourself. Nothing wrong with that at all. Now, simply move along and get out of this girl's way.

I am not in her way , egomaniacal parents are in her way . Do not know this kid or her parents but I know the type . Overbearing , over controlling , parents who have the kid training 24/7 . Good point by previous poster of it was not about the parents ego then why commit now , what's the advantage . If the kid is good enough and bright enough the academies will have room for her in 3 years and obviously money is not the issue .

Poor kid. Unfortunately for her she is headed for one of the best educations available in the country and for what it is worth, a school that according to FORBES produces the #2 highest paid mid career grads, and she has summer jobs lined up, unlimited leadership training in place, and her first job waiting for her with no interview or resume required.

Oh, and she gets paid while she is in school. And there is no charge for the world class education she will get. And for what it is worth, they have a solid lacrosse program coached by a Hall of Famer and the all time winningest lacrosse coach at any level of lacrosse---either gender.

I wish my parents had been "egomaniacs."

Wow, since you put it like that, i think every kid should be fighting to get in there. on a serious note, i think the place is great and have a ton of respect for the midshipmen there. That was a pretty positive spin on it...reminds me of the navy commercials...its not just a job its an adventure, see the world...i get they will be officers...no place is 100% all of that.