Originally Posted by Anonymous
Great point. Nothing is locked in. And don't be fooled...the parents aren't deciding that "today is the day I want my child committed". The coaches are stuck with early committing and there is an overall pressure for the parents that there won't be any spots left on the team (reality for the top teams). As most parents know, you may want your child committed in the worst way, but the coaches are the ones initiating the process. Also, if you are fortunate enough to have a child being offered money, the money goes QUICKLY! I personally know of people who waited a year or so to commit from an offer, and lost scholarship $. Nothing will change without changes to NCAA rules overall. To blame parents is ridiculous and, although college coaches hate the process as well, they are stuck with it.

The 2 for 7 agreement is signed in August before the start of junior year. Prior to that, barring a finding of bad faith, Midshipmen may separate from the Academy without obligation, financial or otherwise.