Originally Posted by Anonymous
People are stating things are okay because there are no rules... and that makes it okay.

Please review the definitions of cheat! One does not need to break rules to be a cheater! Although it generally occurs it is not a prerequisite.

Cheating is the getting of a reward for ability by dishonest means or finding an easy way out of an unpleasant situation. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain unfair advantage in a competitive situation. .... The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating conduct a potentially subjective process. ... A person described as a "cheat" doesn't necessarily cheat all the time, but rather, relies on unfair tactics to the point of acquiring a reputation for it.[2]

Enough already - this has been beaten to death and then some across every thread in the forum. The rules are what they are, and people are going to follow the rules. It's probably not "fair" for a freshman to play against seniors in HS or College lax either, but no one cries about that. This is no different unless the rules actually change.

No I don't think it has been beaten to death.

I also don't agree with you; I see it fair that freshman play against Sr's. why, because they are identified as such. The objectivity is known; it is Younger vs Older.

When playing in a class/grade based system you no longer have the objective nature which allows you compare things equally. Instead, you are intentionally hiding the objective nature that would make one better then the next. Sure some tournaments identify the DOB - most don't.

Why is it so important for you to compare your 13 year old to someone else's kid? You should be focused on whether your kid is getting better and having a positive experience.

What are holdbacks cheating at? Not college recruiting. The reality is by word or deed the d1 college coaches have endorsed holding boys back and know the boys are older. Bottom line, the coaches and the NCAA set the rules for recruiting and holdbacks are encouraged.

Are holdbacks cheating at youth lacrosse? That answer is subjective given no firm age requirements. If your son is really D1 material if held back it would seem like you should have the decency to play him with his age group/normal grade until he hits high school. The better competition would do him good.

A summer birthday who is average and wants to play with his friends in his grade? I really don't have a problem with that.

Originally club lacrosse was a way to improve for your high school team and maybe to get recruited for college. The emphasis was supposed to be on improving the players with a secondary interest in winning. In that model, players play up rather than down because they are focused on getting better.

The focus now is on the glory and economic benefit of the club. Players will now play with younger kids to the detriment of their own development so that the club can win and the club's parents can claim they have the best 8th grade lacrosse team in their city, state, nation etc.

I haven't and won't holdback my kids because it wouldn't be academically appropriate but I don't have a problem with parents who would make that decision. I only hope that they would insist on playing their son at his normal grade for his benefit rather than let a club director push their son down so the club director can claim more victories.