Originally Posted by Anonymous
Another big turnout for Bluefish.....Impressed that the evaluators were actively coaching/teaching/encouraging (especially Powers, Tierney and Allen) during the tryout. Not just a bunch of guys silently watching while holding clipboards. Thought it was actually very well done..Also liked how Tierney talked to the parents and kids in a group after each tryout, hung around to answer questions, etc. Very different than other tryouts we have been to recently.

Question is who will take the leap? Several major clubs have offers out and teams largely if not entirely selected. Noticed lots of GC and several True Blue helmets trying out. A couple good Viper players there as well as 1-2 from Igloo. Heard group of TB parents talking about running from Hofstra directly to Massapequa for their tryout. Think everybody is juggling tryouts and tyring to do what's best for their kid. It is a crazy time!

So as others have said, if the best talent signed on this could be a very legitimate team which no doubt will be propelled by excellent coaching. Again,really liked that aspect of the thing. I just don't know how many of these top kids will actually end up on the team. They promised emails by mid-week, but some of the kids they have on their list may even be gone by then. The whole "force you to commit in 24-48hrs" thing is another unpleasant aspect of this process.....but I digress.

It is great to hear that Bluefish seems to be drawing talent, it has potential to draw kids from the area that don't wish to travel as much to practice, but like you said, you don't know who is going where. If you go with a bunch of kids you have an advantage, but being on the outside, you only hope they retained a bunch of the better talent from try outs. I really think once the age thing is settled, if ever, there should be some work done on try outs. It would be so much easier for the whole if a coach retained the players he wanted to keep and allowed those that he felt needed to move on go, ahead of the big try outs so there are no surprises and then when everyone attends try outs- you know which positions are available and you know how that team competes and if you have a shot. Wishful thinking and certainly not easy for the kid that gets let go, but possibly a more gentle way than not receiving an email.

As for the. 24 hour decision- I never heard of a club doing that. My boys were always given a week, maybe five days at the least. My kids have played for various clubs over the many years and it was never 24 hrs. I hope no one is actually pushing that time frame. That said, there's a kid whose heart is crushed and wants a spot and anxiously waiting to see if someone declines , so from the other side, I hope if families know they aren't accepting, they do ds quickly, not for the club but for the kids waiting for a spot.