Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My kid was born November 10 2002 what grade should he be in? I am confused.

Throughout most of the country he would be a 2021 - 7th grader and not considered to be old but rather within the typical age range for his grade

In NY with the late birthday cutoff he may be an 8th grader (2020)

Most Maryland Prep schools as well as most clubs would suggest he reclassify to 2022 class which would make him one year older than his classmates. This would make him more attractive to D1 coaches who ignore age and recruit by class

None of the above is my personal opinion of what is the right thing to do, it is just a statement of fact.

in MD the school cutoff is 9/1 so he'd automatically be 2021 and be on the older spectrum of 2021. It is a complete exaggeration that most prep schools or clubs would encourage fall birthdays to be held back. There is one baltimore school and a club that practices there that seems to encourage repeating 8th grade - with lacrosse or other sport part of the motivation. The prep schools that also have elementary almost always make summer bdays do prefirst. This is when they are 5-6 year old has less to do with sports and more to do with fleecing parents out of an additional year of tuition. Of course some parents are happy to pay that extra coin to make the oldest rather than youngest in class.