Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My kid was born November 10 2002 what grade should he be in? I am confused.

Could go either way, going into 7th (2021) or 8th (2020). I dont think anyone would gripe about a boy born in Oct/Nov being entered in the younger year because his parents didnt think he was ready for school yet.

The issue with holdbacks is more around, a boy born in the beginning of the year being intentionally entered in the younger year for an athletic advantage. If you build a team around boys like that, in the younger years that team will have an unfair advantage and could possible be dangerous for the opponents. Its very tricky when you include the contact sport aspect to it (in the younger ages). IMHO.

I think NY parents need to stop griping about these Sept/Oct/Nov birthdays if the play for a younger aged team at any grade level in NY area. That will put our area kids more on par and make it a bit less dangerous for a smaller kid that can potentially be playing kids 2 yrs older. While I never really understood teams that built their team as a u-11, u-13 etc- we shoukd at least be able to align our club teams with the 9/1 cut off- as most if these states also have kids a few months earlier that just weren't ready for kindergarten and may be summer birthdays.

Teams should be built around one set model much like hockey which is far better than a mish mosh of ages all over the place. I do think we will see youth tournaments begin to put an age limit but once the kids are of recruiting age all bets will be off, which will continue to entice families to hold their kid back to play smaller kids so they can get recruited. It's happening because coaches are fueling it. I think things will change as more and more kids decommit and fail to get into their school. The next few years should be interesting to see how age guidelines and recruitment and college team success pans out.