Originally Posted by Anonymous
Summer 2001 not 2003

Summer 2001 should be rising 9th grader. They may not have held back but they started late by every state's standards so are older than the majority of 2020s. For age based their whole team would have had to play U15 this past season while most 2020s could play U13.

so you guys are whining about summer 2001 bday kids playing 2020? my kid is spring 02 2020 and not FCA. Those kids were in 7th grade this past year and played 2019. they need to play u15 or 2020 next spring - which is essentially the same.

No one is whining- I think the poster is stating facts- like it or not, a summer birthday doesn't meet the criteria of 9/1/01 for this kid. My kid plays up too- but that is a choice. However, should it be a choice for kids to play below the age guidelines- just because? no. Simply stated, he can play in 2020 grad year, but will not qualify for u13 now and eventually cannot play u15 games when he misses that cut off.Ther 2020 older kids will most likely get away with being a summer birthday- but in a few years I do believe there will be age requirements applied- for insurance purposes. It will eventually come around like hockey and it won't matter if you were born one day after the cut off- you play with your birth year- period. There are many big hockey clubs that are huge businesses and they survived. Lax clubs will too.

Many may survive but will they be the same. Current Crabs without holdbacks are not the Crabs..They need that edge..

Yes- that's the point- take the manipulation out of the game and the best teams will have the most skilled athletes, not the oldest and most physically mature. Agreed- Crabs is a completely different team without holdbacks. They are good, but not amazing. I am sure they will have a much older roster this year which is sad, as so many kids are being used as pawns for a business. It's a risk and more than a few may not even have it work for them to get into a better school, let alone scholarship money. Just stupid to redo a year of your life.

Unfortunately when parents see kids double reclassing and ending up at Duke and ND, it leads to parents thinking maybe it's not so stupid. Personally I don't care if kids reclass 100 times, it just shouldn't be at the expense of other lacrosse players. High school is high school, but club should be age based at least to 16 years old.