Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by America's Game
It will specifically be great for kids with some talent who have not physically matured in 8th grade but will probably catch up to the "man-child" post puberty superstars. The playing field will be more level by the time they reach late 10th-early 11th grade. Right now it is often about just who is biggest and most physically mature.

I sure hope this is the case. I'm not aware of any link between hitting puberty early and ultimate athletic ability.

The idea that college prospect camps would be limited to kids who haven't even played their sophomore season of lacrosse is insane. Flipping it so that the focus is on kids who have finished 10th grade (even if they track younger kids) is far superior for everyone.

I don't know how you can say a child hitting puberty early doesn't effect athletic ability. I have seen it time and time again when a player who is more mature physically is deemed the best player on a team in 5th even 6th grade because he hits puberty a bit earlier than most. He is bigger faster and a bit more skilled because of the testosterone kicking in because of puberty. Have you ever seen that long gangly kid tripping over his feet at 12 but at 14 he's more coordinated. Well it has to do with puberty and getting comfortable with your body and its overall development. Eventually the playing field evens out usually by 9th to 10th grade but it does happen. In 7th grade there was a player that was 5 inches taller than my son and you could see he was more physically developed hair on his face and legs. Well its now 10th grade and my son is a full head taller and bigger so on that 50/50 ball where that player used to win 80% of the time when they were younger now my son wins it 80%. Not saying the kids skill has diminished or my son became a superstar but as puberty kicks in a whole new physicality sets in and it does change a player overall.

Agreed. I think players get a lot more athletic when they hit puberty, quite apart from size.

If recruiting gets pushed back, then what I hope is that the very athletic, highly skilled kid who hits puberty late is no longer shut out of the ER game. A world where recruiting classes are full before the kids even play a HS game as a sophomore is crazy, as is a world where prospect days aren't even open to juniors.

and how is this good for the sport. This takes away the parity that we have seen. This new way will allow the bigger schools to bully their way to the crème de le crème. Prior a CAA or Patriot could have a run at the title because of a few over looked kids. Or, just maybe, now the better students will get the better schools (and that is the end gme)