Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not a catholic school.
The Key School.
Obezags.

You should read the AG report and why is the AOB declaring bankruptcy if catholic schools are not involved?

As a practicing Catholic and Catholic MIAA parent, here's what I understand (not a statement of fact) the general landscape to be...there's more connection than we'd like there to be:

1) Calvert Hall had a priest in the 1980s who has been accused of abusing CHC students. I think it's a separate class action lawsuit.
2) Curley, Loyola, and MSJ housed/employed priests (at the Archdiocese's insistence) in the 1950s-1960s who were never accused of abusing students at those schools, but had been accused of child abuse at their previous job posts. "Hiding in plain sight" basically.
3) Many of the feeder schools/parishes to the Catholic HS's, in the 1950s-1980s, provided housing to retired/retiring clergy and indeed some of those dudes were the worst abusers, before they arrived there. I haven't heard that any parishioners or students were abused as a result, but it sure looks like a typical "look the other way" malfeasance on the part of the Archdiocese. Gee, sure glad the retired serial abusive priest lives upstairs from the elementary school library!

Also in general, the declaring bankruptcy is close to the end of this process, not a new problem. The Archdiocese has been selling off schools and lands for several years in anticipation of this, segregating financial accounts, and informing parishioners of what's going on (sort of). It's a move to cut off liability to limit it to a certain date of filed lawsuits. When this happened to Boy Scouts (again, brought it on themselves), the actual bankruptcy filing was maybe 6-9 months before the "end of the scandal" when all lawsuits were settled, property was sold, names of abusers un-redacted publicly, etc.