Originally Posted by Anonymous
sounds like the word on Charles Street is that a new head coach will be coming in after the season.
Can anyone confirm this, ideas who it could be?

Yes, GU sent an email to his players and their families yesterday. He is stepping down after the 2023 season. Apparently SA will be elevated to head coach...

I would guess that Abrams will be acting HC. I don't dislike the guy, or his coaching (isn't he the D coordinator at LB? And that D is stout), but I'd think a wider search is in order. And yeah yeah, I know, the Looneys debacle is a factor too, as far as recruitment. Coach U is still club coaching at Crabs which has been a positive thing for a few LB players over the past few years. What is Abrams' recruiting network? He's a McDonogh alum but with Looneys being kaput, where and how is he interacting with new recruits?

A top prospect who would have an impact on the lax program at LB is no doubt aware of the "Looney's Debacle" and a guy who mismanaged a youth club will probably struggle as a head coach at an MIAA school, even if he does run admissions. There are other MIAA schools with attractive programs, some within a few miles of LB. The LB program is in turmoil - lame duck head coach, new AD, interim president. Lots of parents unhappy with how things are going.

AFAIK, SA is not involved with youth lacrosse other than as the coach of the one remaining Looney's team (2024). At least he stuck around to help those guys with their final year of club and recruiting. I hope the ones who want to play in college get the chance.

Most of the top local players know each other. Word spreads fast - who changed teams, who got cut, who signed with which school, who made varsity, who didn't. Educated consumers make it harder for faltering programs to course correct.
I wouldn't put all the blame on SA for the Looney's demise.....2023. 2021, and 2020 board members did not do anything to grow or enhance the program beyond their own children