Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]I hope every parent on this forum reads the story of Katie Meyer from Stanford.
Please keep in touch with your child. Sports should be fun.
At the end of the day we all have to get a job, pay the bills, support a family, and live life to the fullest.
Don’t make your children live the life you couldn’t… make it about them
God bless

Pushing your children is what parents do, academics , sports, behavior , its all some degree of pushing. The ones that are at the top have many parents that never accepted less than great from their children along the way along with living thru them at times. Dont know nothing about this family and hope for the best for them, but parents have pushed their children in the past and will continue to in future.

You should read the story before offering up your hot take. There is "expecting your child to use their full level of talent almost all the time" which is where many of us exist as parents. And also "be tough in the face of defeat, because defeat and mistakes are inevitable."

Then there is "brainwashing your kid to believe they must be perfect at all things, at all times, and they never need to change up their plan, just WoRk HaRdEr." Here's Katie Meyers story:

-HS All American at one of the top public HS in CA
-4 year varsity starter
-place kicker for varsity football
-something like a 4.95 GPA and enough credits for an associates degree @ age 18.
-full ride to Stanford (combo academic/sports)
-won womens national championship for soccer
-supposedly in the pipeline to play for US National Womens Team starting this summer (not USNWT development team, either)

-Allegedly killed herself over a student judicial/conduct referral that would have had her sit out "some" exhibition games before her graduation in 10 weeks.

Mental health is a good thing and parenting around "bouncing back" is a real thing too. If all you do is "push," it causes problems. "Ask me how I know."[/

Need to take things in stride and when they get to HS let them decide their path. Put them in power of their future. detest hearing parents say “he/she is doing this or that because I said so”. Most of the kids are miserable with their parents pressure and helicopter mentality.

Thank you for these perspectives. I think the hardest part of parenting is to know when to push, pull or let them be.