Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is the top league in the nation. What '27club team did he coach? Does he have any real coaching experience otherwise?

The only explanation is that the high school made a quick hire just to shut up parents about firing the previous guy.

The old coach was well respected in the league and community, so this looks like a joke.

Brief search of the internet says he did a year stint at a college in San Diego. That’s it. So he coached for maybe a year and then gets a head coaching job in the MIAA A conference. I know John Carroll is the but of a lot of jokes here, but those boys deserved better.

John Carroll and its students are just fine, I just like to clown the dads, because the JC dads on BOTC are often insufferable.

Let's honestly admit, given the fumbling of JC leadership with this position so far, this is actually not a horrible move. Yes, great players frequently make poor coaches/poor motivators, but I don't sense that's the vibe of how GW would lead athletes. GW, being a northern Balt Co native, could play a role in keeping local talent local (a real need), could elevate the complexity of the program and the plays (at least at varsity) to where it hasn't been in some time, and his age is mostly a plus for the incoming players. Keeping in mind that LB and SP also have gone the route, recently, of younger HC's. And yes, neither program is at McDonogh's or CHC's level, but I bet JC would love to be in LB's/SP's position in terms of a lax program.

Where he will struggle, only due to inexperience / lack of adult years on earth, is the same areas where his predecessor failed. Navigating politics. Advocating for budget items when the school is actually building the budget (instead of constant emergencies and complaints about being underfunded/understaffed). Being copacetic with putting on a suit for a boring donors dinner and telling a few hilarious stories, when he'd rather be on the field with the boys. Most of us in leadership have had to work through that unless it was a natural talent. Hopefully they'll give him enough time to learn.