Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a fan(former dad) of the MIAA, do the top teams like BL and Calvert Hall really think games against the following are tough games year and year out? I know 1 or 2 will have a good team once in a blue moon but let’s be real.

John Carroll
Severn
Gilman
Spalding
Mt. St. Joe’s
St. Paul’s
Loyola Blakefield

I think Loyola had BL down 7-3 at halftime in the playoffs last year, and I recall BL won 10-8, so yes I think BL would even consider even a mediocre Loyola team a "tough game." BL's coaching saved the day on that one.

If you ever travel for work, I encourage you to stop by a local HS lacrosse game anywhere else in the country (aside from SoCal, CT, MA, LI, and Westchester). You'll quickly learn that it isn't just "bias" and "MIAA colored glasses" or "WCAC colored glasses" that these teams are highly ranked in a field of (checked it) over 1,600 varsity HS programs, not 1500 as someone else said. The level of play at most HS programs nationally is abysmal compared to even the Heights, John Carroll, etc. Who are both in the top 100 nationally I'm sure.
Your contradict yourself in your own post. You admit upfront that your statement doesn't apply to half a dozen other hot beds, and then put John Carroll in your top 100 nationally. Saying that MIAA teams and WCAC teams are better than 1500-1600 varsity programs nationally doesn't mean that much when I could think of 30+ teams each in NY/NJ/CT that I could say the same about.

The MIAA is difficult but it's not the juggernaut it's made out to be. 6 of the past 8 seasons has had a team make it through the regular season unscathed, with 4 of those 6 going on to the win the whole thing. Of those teams only 2014 BL made it through their OOC schedule unscathed. heck, 2017 Calvert Hall ripped through the MIAA but lost to the only two teams of note that they played outside of the MIAA (Malvern Prep and Conestoga). It's a great league but it's hardly in a league of its own these days.