Originally Posted by Anonymous
Wow some classic posts past few weeks but will jump in with both feet as I know many of the teams, coaches, etc involved. Going to hit a lot of topics in one post.

First I am from PA not NY or MD. Kid plays on a 2022 A, borderline AA, team. Beats some AA then in the same tournament gets smacked - inconsistent. But hey he likes the team.

1) Regarding "holdbacks" I see alot about those on these forums. First its a personal choice I am against it, unless it is for school or maturity purpose, but its not my kid so I stay out of it. That being said everyone knows MD is the worst by FAR of the classic lacrosse states - if any thing LI kids play up in grade not down. Now the emerging states - especially the football ones like TX, OH, etc - are all holding back big time.

Trash me all you want for this post but I am just saying what you are all thinking.

Regarding holdbacks, the people that are "against" them mostly have their opinions misstated by others. Personally, I don't care if someone holds back their kid for any, or no, reason. I fully understand that many lacrosse families are looking for their kids to go to prep schools (as opposed to public high schools) where it is normal for a kid to be age 16-20 for their four years. I am totally fine with this. It has no effect on me or anyone else. But (and this is the rub), when playing youth lacrosse, an age based system should be used, and everyone should just play their age - like nearly every other youth sport. If a kid is born in June 2004 he should be playing against kids born in 2004 (or born on or between Sept 1 2003 to August 31 2004). This same kid should not be playing against kids born, say, November 2002 just because they both happen to have just completed the 8th grade, or worse still, both "anticipate" graduating in 2022.