Originally Posted by Anonymous
I’ll make a comment on youth sports in general and as to IMO these altercations are occurring.
I was at a 2022 tourney a few weeks ago and the teams aren’t important. But what is important across the board is the behavior of the coaches on the sidelines when they don’t get a call or have any issues with the refs. It’s deploable. Now not all, but many fall into this category.
The sideline attitude transfers to the players on the field. The constant screaming at the refs transcends to the players and they start chirping at the refs/other players as well. This is youth sports and is unacceptable. Many of these coaches are gentlemen off the field and go off the rails on the sidelines. We are all competitive in nature but teaching to play hard and clean and respect your opponent and honor the game have gone completely out the window.
I witnessed at least 3 kids on the opposing teams chirping at the refs who made a call against their team. Don’t get me wrong, the team my son was a guest on the coach was not quiet at all and rode the refs hard. Personally, if one of my players spoke to the refs in anything other then a respectful manor, I would pull them off the field myself as a coach and bench them without any prompting.
Meanwhile one of the players chirping at the ref had 4-5 personal fouls in the game and played every minute he wasn’t in the box, also a bad message to send IMO.

The bottomline for me is, set a good positive example for the players(kids) and they will be respectful. Set the tone we currently are, and expect more bad behavior. If I was a ref and a child spoke to me in a disrespectful manner, both teams would get a warning and the next time any player would be ejected from any game I reffed. The refs aren’t punching bags and yes bad calls are made, but the direction of all youth sports is going in a direction it shouldn’t be.

Very well said! Your statements also apply to the parents on the sideline.
Players feed off parent actions and attitudes.

The issue with refs at these tournaments is consistency! It just seems like the rules are willy nilly. Either the refs cant be bothered to read tourney rules or the tourneys organizers dont care to properly inform the refs......
Probably both....