Originally Posted by Anonymous
What will be the average age for the TX Mustangs and Laxach, i'm guessing 16.

Bad guess. Most (if not all) of Mustangs are 14, and the 7th grader is 13. But they are big, would do much better in a football tournament. No team tryouts, no practices, just a bunch of kids from Dallas and Austin who a dad got together through word of mouth. Only playing in 2 tournaments this summer.

Not sure how this guy knows so much about the TX 2022 teams, but this is not the whole/real story and doesn't even make sense that a TX team would not practice, not take lax serious, but would all buy tickets and spend thousands of dollars to attend a tournament in NY. Here is the real story. For 2022, the majority of kids from TX are 15 by now. How do I know? I lived in TX and had my first child (daughter) in TX where she started KG and was one of the youngest in her TX class. Now that we have moved to NY, she is one of the oldest in her class. TX law states kids MUST be at least 5 yrs old by 9/1 to start KG (no exception). TX law requires kids who are 6yrs old by 9/1 must start KG, therefore most public schools STRONGLY SUGGEST parents wait until their kid turns 6 years old before starting KG. It was so bad, they didn't give me any attention when I tried to enroll my 5 yr old in KG. As a parent in TX, they even convinced me to do this! I didn't mind because the schools STRONGLY suggested waiting and didn't seem interested in me enrolling my daughter, TX preschools were typically quite beautiful and so inexpensive (land and labor are much cheaper) and TX public schools are for the most part (there are exceptions) not that great so most parents who can afford it go to private school.

Do the math, if most of these TX boys start KG at 6 yrs old, they enter 8th grade at 14 years old and typically turn 15 as the year progresses. Since 8th grade is mostly over, these TX 2022s are mostly 15. They are not holdbacks, they don't have crazy parents who have their kids repeat a grade to dominate sports (like JR), they are simply parents who are trying to follow the recommendations of TX school system counselors.

Happy to answer your questions:
* Why do I know so much about TX 2022 Teams? Obviously, my son is on TX Mustangs. I grew up and lived most of my life in Westchester, we moved down here a few years ago from New York, I'm on this forum to follow my HS alma mater's lacrosse team as they play in the state tourney, and a friend told me about the comment in this thread, because he has a 2022.
* I don't doubt your child's experience with TX schools, but your math is a little off. If a child must be 5 years old to start KG, that means they must be 6 in 1st grade, 7/2nd grade, 8/3rd, 9/4th, 10/5th, 11/6th, 12/7th, and 13 at the start of 8th grade. My son is probably the oldest on this team, and he turns 15 at the end of August. Do holdbacks happen in Texas? Heck yeah, especially given how big football and sports are. But I can't think of a holdback on this team.We'll bring our birth certificates to the game, you bring yours too, OK? I'm kidding, of course. Kind of...
* As to what makes sense, who said we don't take lax seriously? This team is only together for two tournaments (one last week just to play together), most boys play on other club teams, and Austin, Dallas and Houston are very far apart. They are all good lacrosse players, just don't have a chance to practice together, so they are definitely not as smooth as teams that play together year round, they don't have plays, clears, etc. We are a non profit team, that only pays actual expenses for tournaments and coaches. The other club teams they play on are businesses in it for the money, just like back east. We just like being together, and going to this event because of the great competition, and having the boys meet other kids, and see the level of lacrosse skill and IQ that we just don't see in Texas. And at the tourney we played in Dallas last weekend, it was 105 degrees, that's good enough reason to head east!
* There was an older Mustang team (2018) that had the same model, and played in LI Laxfest back in the day and did very well, and they asked the dad who runs it if he had a 2022 team a few years back. That's how we got involved in this tournament.