Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why does everyone feel such pride in the club teams their kids play for? I guess I can't follow the connection people have to the club team. I understand high school, college, town based youth program connection but not the club loyalty. Worth noting, I do not live on LI so maybe it's different in Westchester.

I think the answers are varied - for the 'big' teams, there seems to be a whole sense of superiority in being associated with those clubs, and I mean beyond level of play - they have what I would equate with societal social classes. They truly look down at EVERY other club. The irony there is that some of their teams don't have the talent to even extend to that unnecessary and unrelated dismissive attitude. (For Express teams, I'd argue the bottom half of the rosters on their top talent team(s) don't have the prerequisites to be all arrogant since those boys hardly ever see the field!) For others, it may be that their club team has had a consistent solid core of kids together before they get to HS, and or maybe their local programs - youth community or school - just aren't that good/committed to the sport. Considering the number of boys that play lax on LI as well as the large number of club programs, that also plays into it.