Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have a serious question. When these travel teams have a tryout is there even spots open or do they just take your money in hopes your child can make the team? I have seen too many tryouts where kids not just mine had played very well and did not make the team? What are they looking for?

most teams at this age are taking return players and there are not a lot of spots open( if any) or they are looking for specific positions to fill and probably already know which kids are coming ...

In all fairness, the coaches (and organizations) also know who is actually looking to move from the top teams and who is there for the workout - so if your son is already on a good team and doesn't get an offer it may be because they don't think he would take it anyway (this is when having a frank discussion helps). Seen this at the Express and 91 tryouts where evaluators have said not to bother with a kid with a certain helmet because "if he was serious about coming over here, we would have known about it already."