Originally Posted by laxrules
Originally Posted by Anonymous
One thing is for sure. There is a big gap in this age between the top 2 and the rest. 91 will likely fall closer to the top 2 once they play. But everyone else is going to tighten up below this AA tier. That's not to say all the other teams aren't good, it's just those top 2 or 3 are really freaking good.

My biggest complaint about youth lacrosse after watching this over many years, with my three boys in varying classes: that there are almost always a (small) bunch of very good teams at the top but then the next GROUP down is treated like pariahs - the "everyone else is B" crowd, if you will. Your assessment is a better, objective take on this: there are the AA, and then there are A teams, and then B etc.

I for one was a bit disappointed that the gap didn't close a bit and if anything it looked worse than last year. Usually it begins to do so by now.

Agreed 7th & 8th is when the kids start to mature and catch up and the gaps close.

The dynamic is changing and these teams are getting the best players. Plus, they are shorting the bench in the big games. That's why you may see a tight game or two, it's really not a gap closing, it's playing time balance on the roster. I.E., I sure that teams #4-6 starters on the Island can easily beat teams #1-3 bottom half of the roster. My older son in the 2018s had a completely different experience at this age. Recruiting was starting and a lot of the teams began to creep backwards as interest wasn't as high because the best players were recruited and HS was the focus. Now you have to stay with your club through Jr. year. The clubs are loving the new recruiting rules. And, I am of the opinion that not all clubs are created equal. An established club because (I believe) will get you into the better events (team and Individual). In the end, there will be 100s of this class recruited, but you don't have to be on an elite team, that makes exposure easier. But imho i think it's better to be with an established club.