Originally Posted by Anonymous
The fact that this discussion has turned to what 8th and 9th graders will play significant roles on varsity teams speaks volumes to the fact that High School lacrosse on the Island is not very competitive (outside of the top 2 or three teams per league). Make a Power League already. As far as who cares about 9th grade lacrosse? I would say just about every major college coach in the country cares. 2018 and 2019 saw by far the most college coaches on their sidelines of any age groups this past fall and summer. The Top Club Teams draw an incredible amount of attention. Very few if any of the 2018's or 19" s would be able to compete with the top 2016 teams yet they are able to play major roles on varsity teams. An earlier post made reference to middle school lacrosse being a joke, well, most varsity programs are not much better. Same teams at the top year in and year out beating up on teams that have very few strong players and very limited depth. Even the top HS teams feel the need (for whateverreason) to bring up 9th graders. I think towns like Garden City, Syosset, Massapequa and Smithtown East could do just fine with out bringing up any 9th graders. Maybe the strong small schools do not have the depth.
Time for a Power League or smaller conferences so the teams can play more Non-League games against competitive teams. I bet that just about anyone who follows HS Lacrosse on the Island can predict the top 2 or three teams in each conference.

I disagree. I like to see the young guys play and have seen many act and play as mature smart players with IQ's as high as Jr's on the varsity field for the first time.

I don't see it as a trend that LI is on a down trend or the teams are watered down. I see it that there are diamonds in the rough who can play. I like to follow these guys through the years. I think the power conferences are a crock and server no purpose. Colleges have conferences and there are weak and strong teams there as well. Sure there should be more wiggle room for non league competitive play but leave the league games alone. Let the neighboring towns play each other, let Suffolk play more Nassu and let Li teams play Ct West and Nj PA MD VA teams.

Happy New years. West coast!