Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
this whole problem could be solved if N.Y. went to a 8 semester (16 quarter) rule, but as usual our law makers keep this a screwed up system. Maryland has this rule and still seems to send as many or more kids to top colleges. this law would stop coaches from cradle robbing, and parents from politicing there kid to varsity

I noticed you mentioned Maryland and their 16 quarter rule however you neglected to mention that Maryland is also where some kids either begin school a year later or repeat 8th grade . My niece played in college with a freshman who was 20 from McDonogh .
First, Maryland cut off date is later than ours is, so, just like us in N.Y. some Md. parents might decide to not enroll a child that is born late in Oct. Nov, or Dec. As far as prefirst goes that seems to be a prep school thing that I just don't get, I am having a hard time believing a parent could have the foresight to hold a child out at 5 to gain an athletic edge at 13. Holdbacks are just cheaters, plain and simple and should disqualify a kid, or force a year of eligibility to be used in college unless the kids grades was the reason, that should fix that problem. This discussion was how to stop middle school kids from playing varsity and the 16 quarters rule would work