Originally Posted by Anonymous
For those who have never coached or played a high school sport, I would like to clarify the statement "nobody cares if it ends at the county"... as a former all county player and coach of a county championship team- let me add not in lacrosse...Winning county titles is not something to look past or minimize...that is a huge accomplishment...especially in Suffolk Boys lacrosse...probably one of the top counties in the state even north east region given the national rankings many of the teams have had in recent past. So winning a county title is a huge accomplishment. Unfortunately, in the State competition Suffolk and Nassau are required to play each other before getting off the Island to complete the State Championship run. So realistically that is the State final game as evidence by all of the Sate Championship teams from Long Island. Being a two time county champ is incredible. Also remember that team did so with many underclassman on the field. The first title saw 3 freshman with significant contributions...the second saw a team with freshman and sophomore contributions...This year the team will be looking at the junior class to carry the burden...but who doesn't like the prospects when you have kids with 2 county championships already under their belt...I'd take that experience any day as a coach.

I very much agree with this post. There Are 49 teams in Suffolk lax, I don't have the entire history of lax in front of me but it looks to be about 30+ teams that have never won a county title. So, as far as, 2 in a row, the list is very short. It is something to be very proud of.