I think a previous poster said it best, getting into a top academic school in ADDITION to keeping up with a 30+ hour a week athletic commitment is not something every student is capable of. Having been through the process with one of my own, I encourage looking at the last 3 years of student athlete graduation rate (the "newer" programs regardless of what division can be a great find) also look at retention of returning players. I did not see any chest thumping lol, but rather interesting, intelligent discussion about exploring all options. Job placement and internships are also huge-unless the student wants to spend summers as a lifeguard or lacrosse coach. Some of the D2 schools mentioned have excellent connections in the business arena.

Bottom line, students should take the time to visit schools, do overnights. Parents- allow your student to lead the way and use their instinct. THEY are the ones going to college, your job is to support and encourage them. There will always be the jealous nay sayer ("it's a low D1" or "it's not a good academic school") they are often the parents who shipped their kid around and did not get an offer, or got an offer and the kid will be back home with an excuse within a year.

Good luck to everyone, let's continue to support the sport and our student athletes.