Originally Posted by America's Game
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by America's Game

Oh yea? Name one quality HS program who bought up an 8th grader who actually produced. Don't think so, it is hard enough for an exceptionall freshman to do much!

Syosset - Dan Loftus started in goal and went on to be an AA at Duke - Jeff Cohen, not sure of totals but had over 25 goals in 8th grade on varsity went on to have big totals at Harvard - Ryan Lukacovic started as an 8th grader before going to Chaminade for the rest of HS scored a bunch including being leading scorer for Syosset in playoffs now Starting at Virginia.

Ok so out of the thousands of players you name a goalie who was great and a head of his peers at an early age. When there is a need it could result in an 8th grader being brought up.

Jeff Cohen again an anomaly was at one time the leading goal scorer at Harvard. Your grasping at straws with these examples. These are true studs and went on to prove so. The programs with strong youth and feeders usually will not bring up an 8th grader. It would probably be a weaker struggling program that must do this.

what is your major malfunction numb nuts? I am not making a case for or against 8th graders playing varsity, I was replying to a post that said

Oh yea? Name one quality HS program who bought up an 8th grader who actually produced

Syosset has a history of bringing up 8th graders and they are clearly a quality program - the 8th graders bought up in the past have played at Harvard, Duke, UNC as well as a current UVA and two current Hopkins players. so this is not "grasping at straws" it was a direct answer to a direct question asking to name "one" quality program,

Bringing up an 8th grader may also me about what the coach thinks is best for the player while maybe not being a huge contributor to the varsity team in his 8th grade season but becoming a better player by playing against bigger strong better players and being coached by better teacher/coaches then they would get in middle school or JV. If it was my kid I would rather he score 5 goals on varsity then 25 on JV or 50 in middle school but getting better. Games do not mean anything unless the score is in Newsday and you improve in practice not in games.....IMHO