Originally Posted by Anonymous
should an athlete take a DII significant offer over a DI low offer? Undecided major, wants the NYC location, first time away from home. Thanks

I think the right answer is to find the right school for your son or daughter rather than selecting a school based on lacrosse. Recognizing however that, if a school is offering substantial money, that is an important factor for many families and should clearly be a consideration.

Unfortunately, there are not many lacrosse programs in NYC itself: Manhattan and St. John's on the men's side and I think Manhattan plus Columbia on the women's side. In the NYC area there are many more options though.

With regard to major, I think most of us had no clue what our major would be when we were in college; maybe we knew that we were business, STEM, or liberal arts, but, very few knew precisely what our major would be. So I think it really comes down to academic fit, campus environment fit, location fit, size of class fit. The last, though not unimportant factor, should be lacrosse; not unimportant because this is the coach and group of people that your kid will establish their initial friendships in college and can influence your child's love or hate of the experience.