Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why would a HS coach ask if any kids play travel and for what team on the winter open gym sign up sheet? If you don't play travel you're no good? If you don't play for the right travel team you're penalized?

Why must you jump to such a negative assumption. The reason could be one of many. I coach in Suffolk for a strong program and I inquire who is playing travel and where so I know what kids have may have conflicts. I also want to know who is playing where so I can give my feedback regarding that program to the parents and also if I know the coaches of the travel program, I can speak with them about how he is playing. There are money grabs out there and I want my kids to avoid them. Nothing nefarious and I agree with another poster. It is parents like you sir that ruin programs. We are not out to get you and your child. We do not invest 100's of hours over the course of a year to coach these kids because we are lavished with loads of cash. We love the sport and our reward is watching kids succeed on the field and in life. You can thank us with a hand shake as a show of appreciation, not a knife in the back. First and last time posting.

Never asked in any other sport so you have to ask why?

Please, you guys have learned how to turn something good into a negative. A coach wants to know what they have, wants to know where they're are at.

for each school that does this and I will give you 5 more that the parents wished their HS coaches did this. Delicate balance being a HS coach of a sport known in a specific region. ask any Florida or texas football coaches they'll say the same thing...

I just cant believe winning coaches are getting the axe especially when there are plenty of losing coaches or 500 coaches who should be dragged out of town.