Originally Posted by Anonymous
Agreed. As for Stony Brook, it’s ranked by US News as #77 in national universities. They don’t just let anyone in. Maybe they did 20+ years ago when you were applying. To put things into perspective, Binghamton is ranked #83 and I know of kids with 1450-1500 SATs getting deferred in the early action pool. There are plenty of really smart kids in New York State who don’t have the luxury of paying $75K+ a year for tuition at a private institution. And playing on an awesome lacrosse team is an incredible opportunity too. My favorite lacrosse player to watch rip around the field is on that team (and no, my kids don’t go there).[/quote

Well said. SB gets a lot of haters from people on Long Island. Cmon let's be real. Who wouldn't want their daughter to go their if you were from LI. Close to home. Cost effective. Great Education and absolutely total top notch lacrosse. Preseason #4 is no joke and not by luck. Every girl that gets an offer from them is legit regardless if she is from LI or elsewhere

Main problem with SB is that too many students are from outside the country and are very cliquey and there is no social life (college town, frats, etc) SB good if going into the medical field, but not so much for business. Those were the main reasons my daughter did not have the school on her list. Good coach and program if you are a starter, but many more attractive options if you are a top tier player.[/quote]

You are correct about many students from outside the country. Wrong about the social life. All the athletes are cliquey with each other. They all hangout together and seem to have a great time. obviously is not a huge party school but I don’t think that’s a very big concern for girls that are going to play lacrosse at that level. I think the main problem is adults coming on here to try to put down schools that their child is obviously not attending. What does it matter to you where other children might go to college? How do you know what another child sees as attractive options? All
That should matter to you is your child being happy with their choice. You should Be happy and proud of your daughter and what she has accomplished without having to put down other children. It’s very sad that so many adults are so quick to try to knock down young girls. I have been hearing it for years, parents talking about other children choices on college and I never understood why. Why would you care about what another child is doing? Let’s try to make ourselves feel better by knocking a child. Just sad. Personally I hope all the girls get to go to their dream school! Why because I’m not in competition with anyone over my children. I’m also trying to teach my children that life is not about keeping up with the Jones’s it’s about finding and doing what makes them happy and fulfilled. If your worried about what other ppl are doing you will never be happy you will be bitter like so many of the ppl on this site.[/quote]

You seem very defensive. I stated why SB was not an attractive option for my daughter. It’s the same thing I hear from many other parents and girls. My daughter chose a top 20 lacrosse and academic program. I bet no girl on the top half of the top clubs chooses SB. This traditionally it’s what we see. JS does a great job identifying and bringing in underrated players. I bet the majority of girls at SB would not be there if they had decent offers from UNC, BC, Cuse, etc. Money can certainly be a factor since SB tuition would be similar to a 50% scholarship at other schools. Many factors to consider. That said, the SB recruits seem to really benefit from excellent coaching.