Spots open in some great schools pop up due to other factors in who plays were; the ivies… no NLI, players have to meet rigid academic criteria ( most lax girls are great students btw;), players enter the “admissions process” upon agreement with the Ivy coach, who, my best generalization here, makes the academic admissions folks aware of the player and coaches shared interest.
Players academic performance is followed until fall senior year, upon player meeting academic criteria, are admitted. No sports money from ivies, so the parents gotta complete FAFSA to see what they get. Ivies like a handful Of other high endowment, generally academic elite unis are committed to no loan meeting 100% a player need based aid. Words can be tricky:/ why with same financial numbers from a family can 2 different unis come up with different financial awards? I dunno the answer to this. But I will say for any player, other siblings in college notwithstanding, families 100k a Uber can expect yuge and packages, 100-200k it can hurt a lot to go to an ivy, above 200k don’t expect anything.
Sometimes spots at ivies, NU, ND, Vanderbilt, DUKE, the like open up in a players senior year because paired families financial aid just can’t all come together to make it work. All the programs at this level are more or less filled by the time presidents cup junior year rolls around though. Kids who play at this level academically aren’t picking these schools expecting a national championship.