Originally Posted by Anonymous
if 2 thru 18 are not going to end up there, please explain how thats an unfair advantage? if 2 thru 18 ended up there, you may have a point

If your daughter was in a hundred yard race, and the person she ran against had a 50 yard head start, did that person have an unfair advantage regardless of whoever won?

why would any girl choose SB academically over any other school in the top 10? Anyone can get into SB. you don't need lacrosse.

Have to laugh every time I hear people talk about a player having the ability to “choose” when it comes to “Top 10” or “Top 20” lacrosse or academics. Relatively very few student athletes will ever have that choice. The large majority of girls do not receive offers from Top 10 or Top 20 lacrosse programs and an even greater number do not have the academic credentials required by Top 10 academic schools.

A lot of banter about all of this when it affects very few players/parents.

Agreed. As for Stony Brook, it’s ranked by US News as #77 in national universities. They don’t just let anyone in. Maybe they did 20+ years ago when you were applying. To put things into perspective, Binghamton is ranked #83 and I know of kids with 1450-1500 SATs getting deferred in the early action pool. There are plenty of really smart kids in New York State who don’t have the luxury of paying $75K+ a year for tuition at a private institution. And playing on an awesome lacrosse team is an incredible opportunity too. My favorite lacrosse player to watch rip around the field is on that team (and no, my kids don’t go there).
if 2 thru 18 are not going to end up there, please explain how thats an unfair advantage? if 2 thru 18 ended up there, you may have a point

If your daughter was in a hundred yard race, and the person she ran against had a 50 yard head start, did that person have an unfair advantage regardless of whoever won?

why would any girl choose SB academically over any other school in the top 10? Anyone can get into SB. you don't need lacrosse.

Have to laugh every time I hear people talk about a player having the ability to “choose” when it comes to “Top 10” or “Top 20” lacrosse or academics. Relatively very few student athletes will ever have that choice. The large majority of girls do not receive offers from Top 10 or Top 20 lacrosse programs and an even greater number do not have the academic credentials required by Top 10 academic schools.

A lot of banter about all of this when it affects very few players/parents.

Agreed. As for Stony Brook, it’s ranked by US News as #77 in national universities. They don’t just let anyone in. Maybe they did 20+ years ago when you were applying. To put things into perspective, Binghamton is ranked #83 and I know of kids with 1450-1500 SATs getting deferred in the early action pool. There are plenty of really smart kids in New York State who don’t have the luxury of paying $75K+ a year for tuition at a private institution. And playing on an awesome lacrosse team is an incredible opportunity too. My favorite lacrosse player to watch rip around the field is on that team (and no, my kids don’t go there).[/quote

Well said. SB gets a lot of haters from people on Long Island. Cmon let's be real. Who wouldn't want their daughter to go their if you were from LI. Close to home. Cost effective. Great Education and absolutely total top notch lacrosse. Preseason #4 is no joke and not by luck. Every girl that gets an offer from them is legit regardless if she is from LI or elsewhere

Main problem with SB is that too many students are from outside the country and are very cliquey and there is no social life (college town, frats, etc) SB good if going into the medical field, but not so much for business. Those were the main reasons my daughter did not have the school on her list. Good coach and program if you are a starter, but many more attractive options if you are a top tier player.[/quote]

But how many top tier players are there every year? Unless our definition or top tier is different, I’m talking 10 girls. Then The difference between 11-150is very minimal.
That’s where I think people get confused. My daughter committed to a top 30 team. Got a little bit of money but in my opinion she is no way near what I consider top tier. Was she a top player on her club, yes. Is she anywhere near the caliber of top players in UNC or BC. No.