Originally Posted by Anonymous
friend of mine is a college coach and they said it isn’t genuine interest. What they do is email the entire mailing list of any recruit who has emailed or filled out a questionnaire. It helps bring people into their fall camp. Don’t fall for it. Highpoint is a school that did this as well

Once again the hypocrisy of what college coaches are allowed to do. God forbid you don't tell a college coach the truth about where their school stands on your list or you lead them on about your interest in their school.....

Amen. Going through the recruiting process has been eye opening. These coaches preach mental health, etc yet have no problem lying to our kids and stringing them along for their own purposes. Disgusting.

I don’t think it’s lying or stringing them along. They aren’t being disingenuous for the most part. I just think it’s two sets of rules. Have to respect the coach and let them know the minute you move on. But they are called out for ghosting kids. They have the excuse “well they are busy recruiting.” Nonsense.

Understand what you are dealing with, read between the lines. Coaches make offers to the players that they want. If the coach is willing to talk to or meet with your daughter but not willing to offer her a spot it is very likely that the coach has other players ranked higher and is trying to commit them.

We constantly read on hear “don’t jump on the first offer”…. Parents and players seem to want to have their cake and eat it too.

The recruiting process is a wake up call for many, especially the people who can not realistically assess their child’s athleticism/lacrosse abilities.

Not trying to be mean or nasty, it’s just the way the process works, it’s reality.

Not what I am talking about. I was specifically referring to the double standard of the player has to respect the time and energy of the coach and not the other way around. If the coach likes someone else and decides to pass on the kid, that is 100% fine but they should let them know that so they don't waste time or energy on that school anymore. Instead, the coaches will just not respond to the three emails a month the players have been told to send by their coordinators. The coach will hide under the "we are busy with recruiting" excuse. Or "you should check to see how many commits they have."

I wouldn't have an issue with that if they didn't get upset when the shoe is on the other foot.
When a coach likes a certain player, there's all these rules that a player should have respect for the coach and send an email as soon as the player has decided to cross that school off. That's a double standard. If a coach passes on a kid, they never let the kid know, why does the kid have to drop everything and email the fifteen coaches that want them.

To be clear, I think the kid should email the coach. But so should the coach.

I'm not sure why you believe that "there's all these rules that a player should have respect for the coach and send an email as soon as the player has decided to cross that school off."

The only coaches a player should call (not email) are the coaches that actually extended an offer to the player. If the player was far enough along in the process, met with the head coach and the head coach offered the player a spot, the player should call the coach to let them know that they (the player) has accepted an offer from a different school/program. If the player has not sat face to face with the head coach and received an offer there is no need to inform the coach that the player is not interested in their school/program.

You are making it more complicated than it is.