Originally Posted by Anonymous
This conversation is very fool. So if my child, who goes to a non-rich public HS, who has very good but not brainiac grades, and we make good but not great salaries (blue collar $ but probably nothing needs based here)…do I even bother to have her attempt to play lax in college? Lmao? Cause according to you experts she doesn’t sound like she has a chance! I’m not sure why I stop by to read. Every few pages I find something worthy.

I think the comments above were in response to the posts re why do a lot of prep school kids get recruited, and the nefarious theory that coaches like rich families. The responses were theories why kids from prep schools were actually recruited. You shouldn’t take that as an inference that a public HS kid with modest family income can’t get recruited. Stay focused on your daughter and her needs and don’t read into all of this discussion. Kids from all over get recruited.

I am one of the original posters. In no way was I saying great lacrosse players from average income families can’t get recruited. My daughter is one of them. We did have to sacrifice a lot to make sure she was on a top club and took part in premier events. In fact, many of the best players on their respective college teams are often the average income girls. All-Americans. The comments came from my observations throughout the recruiting process. On the visits we noticed that most girls were either from very wealthy neighborhoods, or prep schools. I don’t think this true as much for other sports like Football and Basketball, but maybe I’m wrong. Anyhow, I think It is harder for average income lacrosse players to be recruited for a variety of reasons, and you see virtually no low income players. US Lacrosse even created a team of low income girls to help grow the sport Nation United , not sure how effective that will be. Would be great to see lacrosse become more diverse socioeconomically.

Nation United is not a team of “low income girls”. There are a lot of Black girls, a few White girls, and a few Asian girls. There is nothing in Nation United’s Instagram or Twitter or anything else that talks about “low income”. This comment is just like the “economic diversity“ comment. You cannot ascertain female lacrosse players’ economic status from photos. I am trying not to make assumptions why you stated Nation United is a “low income” team.

Now, should US Lacrosse seek to aggressively expand lacrosse beyond its current base? Yes. Should that include lots of real outreach to Black and Latino communities?Yes. Should that include substantial steps to making the sport less expensive? Yes. Should that include substantial steps to weaken the current club model and reform recruiting? Yes

By the way, Nation United Womens Lacrosse is pretty much an All-Star team. They do not practice and have no plays. They meet up a couple times a year and play tournaments, talk, and try to create a Sisterhood in a sport where a lot of Black and Latina players usually play on teams with only white players. The team is about creating Sisterhood and connection. If you get a chance to see them play together, they play some of the fastest, hard nosed lacrosse you will see in the girls game. A well oiled YJ 25 team ran into them in Lake Placid and got all they could handle.