Division I Players of the Week 4-12-2022

Offensive Player of the Week

Lauren Gilbert – Northwestern University

Gilbert registered a career-high nine points on a career-best eight goals and one assist in No. 3 Northwestern’s 21-13 win over No. 15 Rutgers. The single-game goal mark is tied for the fifth highest in Division I this season and the highest mark in the Big Ten. The eight-goal performance is also tied for tenth most in a single-game in program history. Northwestern is now 12-2 on the season and undefeated in conference play (4-0).

Defensive Player of the Week

Emily Sterling – University of Maryland

Sterling led a dominant defensive effort in the goal in a 13-6 win over Penn State. The junior tallied a career-best 13 saves with only six goals allowed, registering a .684 save percentage. The matchup was her third straight game giving up less than six goals and having over a .667 save percentage. Sterling held the Nittany Lions to a season-low six goals on 23 shots, notching eight saves to only two goals allowed in the second half. Sterling currently leads the country in save percentage (.560) and goals against average (7.23). She also backlines a defense only allowing 7.33 goals per game, the second-best mark in the country. Maryland is now 11-1 on the season and improved to a No. 8 ranking in this week’s ILWomen/IWLCA Division I poll.