Originally Posted by Anonymous
"Is there a point to your post? It has been established as to why Duke schedules less competitive programs for their non conference games. Not sure why people are harping on Duke when there are a lot of programs that have several games against teams that they will easily beat. Regardless of who they play out of conference, I'm pretty sure that if you look back over the past 5 - 10 years Duke plays one of the toughest schedule of any team. I would bet that very few programs have played more games against Top 10 and Top 20 Teams than Duke has. They have probably played more game Vs Top 5 teams than just about everyone as well."

Name the other ACC school that schedules as many completely non competitive non conference games. To say they play one of the toughest schedules is laughable as they are forced to, your schedule is on par with the brand new Pitt team which says a lot about Dukes program and coaches. All of the ACC teams ranked above you play a clearly more difficult schedule and only looked at the next behind you , UVA, and they may play the most difficult schedule of any team in the country. It will not happen but when they come to post season accolades they need to look at the level of competition they are putting up these grossly inflated stats.

If Dukes SOS is laughable I would love to hear your thoughts on approximately 100 - 110 other DI Programs.

Look at the ACC vs. Duke from a non-conference top 25 perspective. Also, the other teams generally have another 1-2 teams on their schedule that might crack the top 25 during the season (except for Pitt, Louisville and Virginia Tech). Duke has no one near that class. Their non-conference is clearly the easiest amongst the top 6 teams in the conference and arguably the worst in the conference.

Syracuse- Stanford, Stonybrook, Northwestern, Florida, Temple, Loyola
UNC- James Madison, Florida, Jacksonville, Northwestern
Viginia- Maryland, Princeton, Stanford, James Madison
Notre Dame- Michigan, Northwestern, Jacksonville
BC- Northwestern, Mass, Denver
Virginia Tech- Jacksonville, James Madison
Louisville- Denver
Duke- Penn
Pitt- Penn State

You can harp on Non-Conference all you want but over the past several years, 2015 - 2021 (I would have looked at only the past 5 years but 20' & 21' were not normal)
only UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, Maryland and Boston College have played a more competitive schedule than Duke.

That means what? Duke plays a more competitive schedule than 112 DI Teams.

Here are the actual number of game Vs Top 20 teams from 2015 - 2021

92 - North Carolina
70 - Syracuse
67 - Northwestern
66 - Maryland
63 - Virginia
61 - Boston College
53 - Duke

That's reality, Below are the next group...

52 - Penn State
52 - Notre Dame
48 - Princeton
44 - Florida

Below that we have the following

37 - JMU
37 - Loyola
35 - USC
34 - Stony Brook
33 - Penn
29 - Stanford

Get the picture....

In order for a team to be considered a top tier team they should have to play top tier teams.... Can't just go out and beat up on weak competition.

Here is how many games the following teams played against Top 5 opponents from 2015 - 2021 (Penn & Princeton 2014 - 2020 since they did not play in 21)

34 - Syracuse
33 - Northwestern
32 - UNC
31 - Virginia
30 - Maryland

29 - Boston College
25 - Notre Dame
23 - Duke
21 - Florida

19 - JMU
15 - Princeton
14 - Penn State
13 - Penn

9 - USC
9 - Stony Brook
8 - Loyola
6 - Stanford

I guess spin, hype and propaganda can not change facts, perception does not equal reality.

I am guessing that Va Tech and Louisville most likely play a more difficult schedule than USC, Stony Brook, Loyola and Stanford.

Since we are in 2022, look at the facts for this season. Of the 9 teams in the ACC, Duke has the 8th ranked schedule ahead of only Pitt, a first year program.

Last edited by baldbear; . Reason: Duplicate quotes